Saturday, June 7, 2014

Dayton Memoriies One...

Went to school here. Emerson, 1-6. No longer a school. It was a large school, not sure of enrollment. Mrs. Prather was my first grade teacher, and that is about all I remember. Mr. Whitworth, Mr. Nicely and Mr. Schwinn, names I remember.

Walked to school every day, about six or seven blocks, still not sure how I got across Brown Street, very busy thoroughfare. Margie Guild, a neighbor and older friend may have had something to do with it, may have walked with her.

We moved out to Oakwood in '43, and I took the Brown Street bus each day, back and forth, to finish the sixth, and then started in at Oakwood in the seventh. I remember something about the bus rides, nothing about school, though.


One year, 6th or 7th, I was a crossing guard. Had that white belting AND  that Badge, so proud. My corner was a few blocks from the school, not sure if the streets are even there. I did go to Google and did the visual thing and found the building across from the school that used to be a little grocery store. Sometimes got a hamburger there, my Mom told me not too, which even made it better. The little old lady owner would fry them and then keep them in a broth, all day, not sure if the broth ever changed. My Mom saw the store once, and warned me ever after.

319 South Brown and Emerson had a great impact on my life. Many of my early memories are from back there. The old garage, the basketball court, the alley, milk and bakery delivered by horse drawn carriage type things, the ice man the "rag picker" going down the alley, the neighbors, my most vivid memories of my youth are there. All the hours spent around the old Philco Radio, and of course, Mom and Dad, by Brother and Sadie. I will get in to her later.

No comments:

Post a Comment